This soup is usually enjoyed as a light meal or used as a soother when one has a cold or fever. Let the spices take over you to help banish your shivers away. Fish pepper soup is one of the easiest to make and most delicious and soothing.
It is traditionally made with Catfish however you can use Tilapia fish too or any other fish that does not easily break in soups. It can also be eaten with boiled yams and green or ripe plantain served with palm oil.
Watch the video below to follow the quick and easy steps of how to make your Souldeliciouz Nigerian fish pepper soup.
- Tilapia or Catfish (Medium size cleaned and cut to steaks)
- 2-4 Scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 Medium onion
- 2cm Ginger
- 1 Heaped tsp Souldeliciouz pepper soup spice
- Crayfish (Optional)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Maggi cubes
- 1 tsp Dried Uzazi leaves
- 2 cups Boiled water
Preparation time 5 mins. Cooking time 10-15mins.
- Blend scotch bonnet peppers, onion and ginger
- Add blended mix to 2 cups of boiling water in a pot
- Add 1 heaped tsp of Souldeliciouz Pepper soup spice
- Add 1 tsp salt and 2 maggi cubes
- Add 2 tsp Crayfish (Optional)
- Place cleaned fish in soup and allow to steam for 10-15 minutes or until cooked
- Garnish with 1 tsp dried uzazi leaves
- Add more salt if needed
- You can use as little or more scotch bonnet peppers as you desire. The less red the scotch bonnet peppers the more spicy hot your soup will become
- Make sure you ask the fish monger to clean and cut your fish as you want it
- Crayfish is normally used in pepper soup but please avoid if you are allergic to shellfish
- If you cannot get maggi you can use fish stock cubes instead
- Finely chopped spinach can be used as a substitute for Uzazi leaves